The overall objective of the National Disarmament Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR) policy and programme is to reduce the size of the SPLA/SSAF and the other organised services, and assist the ex-combatants in returning to civilian life and creating sustainable livelihoods.
Specific objectives of the DDR programme are:
1. To reduce the size of the South Sudan Armed Forces (SSAF) and the other national organised forces by 150,000 individuals.
2. To assist ex-combatants to socially reintegrate into communities of return in South Sudan.
3. To increase livelihood opportunities for ex-combatants in communities of return in South Sudan.
4. To facilitate the release, return and reintegration of children associated with armed forces and groups into their families and communities of return in South Sudan.
5. To support social and economic reintegration of women associated with armed forces and group through community based programme in their communities of return in South Sudan.
6. To strengthen the capacities of the Republic of South Sudan Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration Commission (RSSDDRC), line ministries, South Sudanese civil society and private sector to effectively support services delivery to the people of South Sudan.
By achieving these specific objectives, the DDR programme shall also contribute to the prevention of further violent conflict in South Sudan as well as the creation of an enabling environment for human security and socio economic development.